Field Application Engineer, II
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide proactive pre-sale and post-sale technical support to key customers as assigned (Automotive), key distributors and sales personnel on all products - on-site, via phone, email or via SI/OEM, as appropriate. Technical support includes, but is not limited to, these activities:
- Provide on-site application engineering and product consulting
- Maintain technical documents and documentation on products as assigned
- Develop technical/application notes where applicable, detailing start-up and usage procedures of new products
- Maintain current knowledge of new products and applications through self-study, hands-on testing of demo units and scheduled training courses
- Use the technical support escalation process to deliver high customer satisfaction
- Establish work priorities through coordination and collaboration with the GKAM sales team, FESG Team Leader and FESG Regional Manager
- Work with and within teams with other engineers to provide support to OEM’ s and Integrators who are involved at your assigned account(s).
- Perform reactive and/or billable service/project work to assigned customers as follows:
- Maintain good, real-time communications with assigned customers
- Document the problem, root cause and corrective actions
- Maintain flexibility with work hours to be available for certain tasks to be performed on off-hours and weekends (approximately 10 weekend assignments per year)
- Respond to requests for service (machine breakdowns) with telephone support and on-site support to deliver high customer satisfaction
- Provide technical and solution training to customers, distributors and personnel on products. Actively identify opportunities for custom training classes within your assigned key account(s).
- Serve on a rotating basis as telephone support engineer per the Technical Assistance Center schedule (approximately two weeks per year).
- Document support case data utilizing CRM.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- 25-50% Travel for training and application support within North America, Europe and Japan.
- Experience with PLC, VFD, HMI, Servo, Control Networks and other industrial automation applications.
- Ability to develop and maintain in-depth, up-to-date technical knowledge, including the latest products, and to serve as escalated technical resource (subject matter expert [SME]).
- Technical writing skills.
- Project management skills.
- Ability to operate effectively as part of a team.
- Customer service and phone skills.
- Professional, patient, positive, confident communication style and attitude.
- Ability to write and perform technical product and solution training for groups.
- Organization skills, i.E. For documents, demos, work area and time management.
- Must be able to work flexible hours.
- Local candidates only.
Beneficial Skills and Experience
- Strong background in PLCs, VFDs, HMIs, and networking, process control and IEC 1131 programming standards is preferred.
- Some experience with PC hardware and software required with specific experience in industrial applications is preferred.
- Ability to discuss and analyze customer application requirements on phone or in person.
- BS in Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience.
- 3-5 years of application experience with industrial automation products.
Job Location Northville, Michigan, United States